Cubieboard 4, the Octa-Core ARM Platform.
ARM Platforms are gaining more and more recognition around the Open-Source and DIY (Do It Yourself) Community. For years now, we are all familiar with the Raspberry PI, the computer that has the size of a credit card. Since it was first introduced to the world in 2008, its success and its Open-Source nature inspired many companies to follow the open-source single-board computer trend. From this inspiration many ARM boards and mini PCs were created such as Banana PI, Orange PI, Hummingboard, BeagleBone, ODROID, Optimus Board and Cubieboard. The latter, the Cubieboard, will be the focus of our short post.
What is Cubieboard 4?
At the time of this writing, Cubieboard 4, Also Known As CC-A80, is the latest and greatest open-source single-board computer produced by CubieTech (The company behind Cubieboard). It is a High-Performance mini-compute node, build with the Allwinner Tech Award winning Ultra-Octa-A80 chipset. After conducting many tests and experiments, the third revision of Cubieboard 4 is finally in the market since early January 2015, and its retail price is $124.99.
What can you do with Cubieboard 4?
Before you go on and purchase your Cubieboard 4, you may be asking yourself, what can I do with such a powerful Mini-PC?
With its High Processing Power, and low cost, Cubieboard 4 can be used as:
- An affordable computer for kids, for testing, or for development
- A Home Server
- A Mini Personal Computer
- A Gaming System
- A Compute Cluster
- A Media Center
- For Home Entertainment
- For building electronic systems
Pretty much everything you can do with a regular computer. Besides Cubieboard 4 is for everyone, especially DIY enthusiasts.
Example of use cases:
- Allwinner A80, Octa- Core big-LITTLE A15/A7, 28mm
- CPU: Arm Cortex A15x4 up to 2.0GHz, A7x4 up to 1.3GHz
- GPU: PowerVR 64-core G6230
- 2GB DDR3, 64bit, Dual Channel, 1600 MTPS
- EMMC, up to 64GB, default 8GB, write/read speed 25MB/s
- Micro SD card slot, SD card specification V2.0
USB 2.0 host x 4
USB 3.0 OTG x 1
HDMI Port A, HDMI V1.4
VGA, support 1080P resolution output
- 10M/100M/1000M NIC
Wi-Fi: 2.4Ghz/5.8Ghz, dual band, 300Mbps
IR receiver Philips standard
- Support 1220 size rechargable button cell
- Support 3.5 headphone jack for Audio output
- Support 3.5 jack for Micphone
- DC IN 5V/4A
- Support USB 3.0 power jack
- Support 3.7V Li-Po battery
- Power Button
- Reset Button
- Reboot Button
- Power led x 1
- User led x 2
- UART0 and JTAG.
- Some I2C interface to peripherals
- Cubieboard 4 main board x1
- Micro 3.0 USB cable x1
- Micro 3.0 USB OTG cable x1
- Sink fin x1
- 5Ghz/2.4Ghz antenna x1
- Sample acrylic case x1
Where can you purchase a Cubieboard 4?
Note: We are not in any ways affiliated with Cubietech and its products, we only use their single-board Mini-PC in our day to day operations, and we find it useful and extremely powerful. That is why we would recommend it to anyone who wants to play or build computer systems with a low budget.